Friday, December 27, 2013

Twas the Night Before Christmas

Every year we look so forward to Christmas, but when it gets here, we are all just worn out.  So, I decided to take a little bit different approach this year.  On Christmas Eve we just hung out at the house all day--no running around town, just chilled down time.  Perfect.  Lila took a nap and when she woke up it was time to get everyone ready for church.  Thank goodness our church has a 4:00 service, because that worked out perfectly for us.  These two rugrats clean up pretty well, I think!
J man offered to take a picture of Daddy with his (almost) three girls. I think he did pretty good, and no, I didn't tell him to shoot from the waist up!


We got to church about 25 minutes early and were able to get seats with Gigi, Boom and Maddie.  This year I didn't bring anything to entertain the kids.  Last year, I thought I was so on top of things.  I brought snacks, toys and their leappads.  That all backfired on me big-time when they began arguing over them DURING the service.  It ended with Lila screaming crying, hitting me, and then we had to make a hasty exit.  From the front of the church.  Can you say "embarrassed?"  So, this go round, I told them that there that would be singing and then they would listen to the pastor speak.  And they would not talk.  A novel concept, I know.  And ya know what?  They did AWESOME!!  All three of them. 

So happy to share this special night with my parents.  My favorite part was watching all the kids sing Silent Night and hold their candles.  It was really too precious for words.

After church, we headed home.  Lila and I went to Carrabba's to pick up dinner, while the boys stayed home to wrap some presents.  We had a really nice meal in our dining room (so fancy!) and then it was time to enjoy the birthday cake we had made for Jesus.  The kids love this tradition, so even though we are literally drowing in baked goods over here, we went ahead and made the gingerbread cake.

After cake time was over, we all got to open one gift.  Jackson had made something for me and Jared and really wanted us to open it.  I gotta say, it's one of my very favorites.  How sweet is this kid?  Love him.

Jackson opened the card game SET and Lila opened her personalized princess book.  The book talks all about Princess Lila, who lives in the Kingdom of Murphy.  She has a white horse named Emma and wears pink gowns and diamond tiaras.  She loved it!

Then it was time to make sure Santa's reindeer got fed.  Jackson put out the carrots and celery...

while Lila very meticulously spread out the sugary oats she had made for them.  She must have spent 15 minutes making sure she got it right!

Afterwards, we changed the kids into their Christmas jammies and then got out Santa's milk, cookies and pictures.  The kids thought it was funny to taunt Santa, but they didn't really eat or drink any of his goodies.

They were so excited to color him pictures earlier that day.  I'm sure he loved them, too!

 
Then it was time to load up in the car and head to Deerfield in Plano to look at Christmas lights.  To say they liked this would be an understatement!  There were plenty of other people with the same idea, so we were moving really slowly through this neighborhood.  The kids were thrilled beyond belief when we let them stick their heads out of the moon roof to be able to see a little better.  At one point, Lila looked at her brother and said, "Jackson, I will love you forever.  Merry Christmas!"  Then they hugged and she kissed him on the cheek.  Oh my.  Melt this mama's heart.

I didn't get too many good pictures of all the incredible houses, but the lights really were worth it.  This neighborhood was amazing.  We saw dancing Santas, reindeer flying over the street, a huge Grinch who was set up in a deer blind--they thought of everything.  It was a magical night for all of us and one we won't soon forget.



1 comment:

Lainey-Paney said...

1. Love the taunting-Santa picture.
2. What Lila said to J----Oh my goodness!!!! Sooooo sweet!
3. The reality of church services with little ones---fighting at times, and fighting back tears when things go smoothly---I can so relate!

:)

Blog Archive