Thursday, December 19, 2013

Hounds and Reindeers

This morning we were all up bright and early, and I do mean EARLY.  As in, I found both kids awake at 5:45am--all the lights on in the kitchen and living room, searching for Johnny the Elf.  Good grief!  They are so intrigued by their elf!  I made them both get back in bed, but they never went back to sleep.  One day they will cherish their sleep, I'm sure of it.  Anywho, their early morning wake-up call actually served me well because I was out of the shower by 6:30.  I hustled to make their lunches and get J ready, all while trying to get myself ready at the same time.  Oddly enough, he didn't ever ask why I was getting ready so early.  I was trying my best to surprise him at school because he was getting the Hunt Hound Award at the school assembly.  I said goodbye to him at 7:20, finished my hair and make-up and then got Lila dressed and ready.  We were walking into the school by 7:50, just in time for the assembly.  Whew!  There were theatre kids from Plano East that performed a skit with the Grinch, Frosty, Rudolph and Mr. and Mrs. Claus.  Yes folks, you read that right.  I was so happy to see Christmas being celebrated in a public school.  And you know what else?  Everyone sang along to We Wish You a Merry Christmas at the end of their skit!  And the world didn't end!  It was so refreshing, especially when I've been reading about kids not being able to discuss Christmas at school, for fear of offending anyone who does not celebrate it.  Just another reason I love Hunt.

Drumroll please...the first Hunt Hound award for the First Grade goes to...Jackson Hays!  He got lots of cheers from his classmates.  I guess Caleb was so excited for him that he hopped in the picture with Mrs. Garner.

Way to go, J man!  We are really proud of you.  He has gotten excellent reports from his teacher and this is the second year in a row for him to receive the Hunt Hound Award.  It's tradition now, buddy!  Let's keep this good thing going:)

Fast forward a couple of hours later.  I had finished my last minute Christmas shopping, taken Tyson to the groomer, grabbed a quick lunch and then made it to Lila's school for her Christmas party.  I love that she goes to a Christian school and we don't have to worry a thing about giving them Christmas snacks or crafts.  They had the cutest reindeer water bottles, clothes pins and rice krispy treats.

She loved her snack.

Then they got to decorate these precious wreath ornaments that had their picture on them.  Ours in now proudly hanging from our Christmas tree. 

After that, it was time to make some reindeer food.  These reindeer are going to have plenty of oats and sugar sprinkles when they stop by our house on Christmas Eve.

Funny outtake--yes, she's definitely got a silly side!

Their last activity was to sing Christmas carols and pass the big red bows around the circle.  If you were holding the red bows when the song ended, you got to choose your gift.  Sounds so simple, but with 3 and 4 year olds, you never know what you're gonna get.  Let's just say it didn't go that well!  There was one girl throwing a fit and refusing to sit in the circle.  One refused to pass the bow when it came to her, so her mom had to wrestle it out of her hands every time.  And almost all of them found it very hard to sing and pass the bow at the same time.  It was like asking them to pat their head and rub their belly at the same time, I guess!  But we made it through and they all went home with a gift.

Lila couldn't leave without telling her buddy Cowen goodbye and snapping a quick pic with these busy brothers.  Afterwards, they gave each other at least 5 hugs.  So cute!

One class party down, one more to go tomorrow.  Then bring on Christmas.  I hope I'm ready!

No comments:

Blog Archive