Sunday, August 4, 2013

Summer Camp, Denison Style

We've done all the standard camps this summer.  J has been to Sports Camp, he and Maddie both went to Vacation Bible School and all three have done Summer Fun Days and Gymnastics Camp.  But this past week we headed north on Wednesday to see what kinds of fun could be had in Denison, Tx.  Turns out, there are all kinds of cool things to do!  The kids swam some laps and did hand stands in the hot tub first.  Then we set up the slip 'n slide and let them have at it.  Lila isn't much of a slider yet, but the other two sure are.

Ready, Set, Go!!

They must have slid at least 45 times.  Thank goodness that well water is cold, because it was hot, hot, hot outside.  Gigi and I almost melted just sitting in the shade.

On day two of camp, we drove over to check out the wildlife at the Raines Ranch.  The teenage cows were so happy to see us, but soon figured out we didn't have any sugar cubes, so they made themselves scarce.

While we waited to pet the horses, the kids practiced plenty of haybale jumping...

and then we took a tour of the ranch on the mule.  Maddie talked Gigi into riding in the back.  Little did she know how much excitement could be had back there!

Jackson practiced his driving skills, even putting safety first by wearing this awesome helmet.  Remember I mentioned a lot of excitement in the back of the mule?  Well, right after we went through the first gate, there was a loud sound and then screams from the back seat.  I turned around to see that both my mom and Maddie had been dumped out (or so I thought)!!  I ran around and found them hanging there, with their feet in the air, but still buckled in!  We had NO idea that the back part of the mule was broken and wasn't locked in.  One of the funniest things I have seen in a long time...I laughed so hard that I cried.  It still makes me laugh out loud!

After getting everyone safely back into our ride, we continued on down the road.  We found out that the older cows are not the least bit scared of us at all!  We also learned that apparantly the llamas and cows are friends.  When we first got there, all 7 or 8 llamas and about 8 cows were just having a nice get-together under this big tree.  Some were swimming, others just eating, but it was really cool.

We tried to stick around long enough for the kids to ride horses, but it's just too dang hot for this pregnant girl!  We headed back to the lake and sought refuge in the water.  So much better.  The kids did some tubing and swimming.  We ended the day with popsicles, on a raft, in the lake.  Doesn't get much better as far as these three are concerned. 

Denison Summer Camp was a huge success!  Maybe next year we can talk Daddy into coming with us.  I just bet he'd love it, too.

No comments:

Blog Archive