Friday, December 14, 2012

Night in Bethlehem

Tonight as I watch the news about the horrific tragedy that took place in Connecticut, I am even more thankful for precious time with my family.  It is simply unimaginable to me that someone could do such evil, especially to defenseless little kids.  As a mother of a kindergartener, my heart just breaks for those sweet kids and their parents.  There simply can be no greater loss than that of a child.  I pray to God that I never know that kind of pain. 

We are so lucky to be able to enjoy lots of family time centered around the meaning of Christmas.  Last Sunday night, Jared and I took the kids to "A Night in Bethlehem" at Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church.  We didn't really know what to expect and were blown away by the production of it all.  We've read the kids the story of Jesus' birth and talked about it at length, but this was a way for all of us to live it for an hour. 

We began by checking in with the clerk in Bethlehem.  She asked for our family name and the number of members in our family.  She then asked the kids if they had any animals with them, and if they did, they would need to pay taxes on them.  After that, we walked to another lady who gave each child 5 gold sheckles to use in the marketplace.  They were hooked right then and there.

We arrived at the Bethlehem Marketplace next where the girls were given these cloths to wear on their heads.  Maddie thought it was neat for a few seconds, but then remembered that Cole Squires was there and got self-conscience, I think!

We started to check out each booth and discovered some very cool things.  Jackson got to make something out of clay...

while the girls enjoyed rolling dough and then buying their own loaves of bread for 1 sheckle each.  There were about 10 stations in all: jewelry making, pottery, instruments, woodworking and weaving, too.  During our time there, we were entertained by dancers as well.  So cool!  After that, we were lead down the hallway and treated to story time in a few different rooms. The kids were encouraged to sit on the pillows that were on the floor and listen to the stories.  Our first story was told by a shepherd who had been in the field with his sheep when the angel appeared from the sky and told him that Christ had just been born.  Then, we went to another room and listened to a lady tell of how it was her grandparents' inn that was out of room when Joseph and Mary came to it.  She told us that they made a place for them out in the stable, bringing in fresh hay, and how her grandmother helped deliver baby Jesus. 

After the stories, we were treated to a group of carolers singing and then went into the sanctuary to hear the story of Jesus' birth once more.  This time, though, it was with a real live manger scene--Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus were all there, right beside the donkey and some goats.

It was such a cool experience and one that I hope we get to do again next year. 
I love Santa and the magic that he brings to our kids' lives, but I hope to balance that excitement with a love for Jesus, too.  Afterall, God is the reason that I am able to hold my beautiful babies each night, read them stories, tuck them in and sometimes still rock them to sleep.  They are my miracles.

1 comment:

Random Thoughts by Jewels said...

That sounds like such a cool thing. Hopefully I'll remember it next year so we can take our boys.

I see Maddie's love for Cole hasn't diminished. Haha!

Blog Archive