Monday, November 5, 2012

60 Miles!

Heart of Gold - three good words to describe my mother-in-law, Shelley. 
She is such a great example to all of us, showing us every day what dedication and love are all about.  This past weekend she walked in her 4th or 5th (not sure!) Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk.  Yes, I said 3 days.  During those 3 days she covered 60 miles across the Dallas area and raised over $2500 for breast cancer research and treatment.  As someone who very well may face cancer sometime in my life, I am so grateful. 

Friday morning after gym class, Lila and I went on a mission to find Memaw!  We knew that she would be coming up to a cheering station sometime, but since they give you a 3 hour window, it's a little hard to guess when that might be.  We got out our sign, though, and headed up to the sidewalk, cheering on all of the walkers.  I must say, this little girl got lots of sweet compliments and many walkers even took pictures of her! 

We were so excited when after only 15 minutes, we spotted Memaw and her friend.  Hooray!!

Lila was a little overwhelmed with the crowd, so she decided to stay put for a minute.  There were people cheering, cars honking, people wearing pink tutus, men with pink mohawks, and even a poodle that had been dyed pink!

Memaw knew just what this little girl needed--a sucker!  That got a little shy smile to come out:)

The next day after the kids both won their soccer games, the whole fam drove to Dallas to find her.  We weren't quite as lucky with our timing, but thanks to the wonders of texting, we made contact and were able to find her.  Saturday was a much hotter day and we couldn't believe how well she was doing.  She's a warrior, I tell you!

Poppi worked the crew this year, manning the hydration station back at base camp.  I heard he did a great job.  He was there to see Shelley when she finished the 60 miles.  He, and all of us, are so very proud of her.  Way to go, Shelley!  We love you.

1 comment:

Random Thoughts by Jewels said...

That is so awesome! And Lila looks adorable... who wouldn't want to take her picture? :)

Blog Archive