Saturday, September 28, 2013

Field Day - Fall 2013

For some unknown reason I agreed to co-chair Field Day at Jackson's school this year.  Really, I think it was a moment of weakness and Field Day sounded much more fun than being in charge of "Ways and Means," whatever that is.  I was also thinking that I signed up to do something that would be in May 2014, so it sounded even better!  Imagine my surprise, then, when I got an email this past June telling me that Field Day was going to be moved to September 27th THIS year due to construction on the school this coming spring.  Thrilled, I was not.  Another piece to this fun little puzzle is that I was newly pregnant and queasy pretty much 24 hrs a day.  I was not on my A game by any stretch.  Fast forward a few months and a friend of mine agreed to do it with me.  And then she really took the reigns in August and things started moving right along.  Thank goodness for Rebecca is all I can say! 

We really had a fantastic response from all of the parents.  We needed about 75 volunteers for the morning and shift and 75 more for the afternoon in order to allow the kids to play all 38 games.  The parents came through big time and we had plenty of help.  I also owe a big shout out to my own hubby and dad for getting there at 6am to set-up yesterday morning.  They met three other men and had everything all set up by the time J and I got there at 6:45.  And it was dark, y'all!  By the time the kids got out there at 8:15, everything was on schedule and we were good to go.   Whew!

I didn't get to watch Jackson do too many games, but I did catch him playing box hockey.

He and Liam were Field Day Buddies.  Good grief he looks huge!

They had so much fun, especially doing the two-headed race--and they even came in first!

Jackson also loved team tug-of-war.  His team of Ryan, Ben, Gage and Rachel tried so hard.  They lost both times, but they had some serious game faces on the whole time!

That is determination if ever I've seen it.

Mrs. Garner with her cool first graders.

The next team competition was the three-legged race.  Jackson and Gage started out really well...

even making this sweet three-legged jump look easy...

but on the way to the finish line something went awry!  J did the splits and Gage forged ahead!

They played a few more team games and then came over to enjoy some Bahama Bucks snowcones.

It was a great day for all of us.  Jackson told me it was the most fun school day of the year.  Jared loved participating in something with his son.  And I was just so relieved that all the madness was over!  Mark it down--Field Day Sept. 2013: A huge success!!

No comments:

Blog Archive